Become a rookie lifeguard
The Rookie Lifeguard Programme has been designed to help junior surf members prepare to be a Surf Lifeguard. The programme aims to promote "practical lifeguarding" to the younger members and develop strong ties between senior and junior members as a result of involvement.
The target audience for this programme is 12-14 year old junior surf members wishing to become Surf Lifeguards. Obtaining your 200m Safety Badge is a pre-requisite.
- Health, sun smart & conservation
- Surf swimming skills
- Role of a surf lifeguard & patrolling
- Signals, flags & radio operations
- Rescue, releases & tube rescue
- First aid & emergency care
- Primary survey & CPR
- Practical surf skills
- Patrol equipment & clubhouse
- Surf Life Saving Club structure & culture
At the completion of the programme candidates will be able to:
- Identify the role of a Surf Lifeguard
- Demonstrate a range of Surf Lifeguard skills
Once 14 years of age they are eligible to enrol in the SLGA (Surf Life Guard Award) to become a qualified lifeguard. Generally, the course is held during the October school holidays prior to the commencement of the surf season.
To become a rookie lifeguard, please join our club here