qualifications offered by SLSNZ and clubs
Whether setting up patrol areas or rescuing in heavy surf, every Lifeguard knows the powerful motivation of saving or protecting a life. It is a motivation that marks Surf Life Saving as more than just 'something to do' at the weekend.
When you turn 14 you can sit your Lifeguard Award and once you have your Award there are a range of programmes and other Awards you can participate in to develop your skills further.
There are a number of courses run by Surf Life Saving NZ that are open to anyone who has their lifeguard award (although some have age restrictions).
In most cases the courses are heavily subsidised. However if you enrol and fail to attend the course the club will be charged for the full fee, which you will then be invoiced for and need to pay. Therefore, courses are only available for financial members of the club.
Upcoming courses and the deadlines for enrolment (which can only be done through the club) are available on the SLSNZ calendar.
Find out more about the Qualifications Surf Life Saving in New Zealand Offers
For more information on each of the member education qualifications visit www.surflifesaving.org.nz/membereducation
- Surf Life Saving Certificate
- Rookie Lifeguard Programme
- Surf Lifeguard Award
- Marine VHF Radio Operators Certificate
- Board Rescue Module
- IRB Crewpersons Module
- Senior Lifeguard Award - IRB Driver
- Senior Lifeguard Award - Patrol Captain
- Instructors Award - Surf Lifeguard
- Instructors Award - IRB
- Advanced Lifeguard Award
- Examiners Award - Surf Lifeguard
- Examiners Award - IRB
- For further information about Life Saving First Aid qualifications visit www.lifesavingfirstaid.co.nz.
Surf Official Qualifications
- For more information on all the Surf Official qualifications visit www.surflifesaving.org.nz/surfofficials
- For more information on all the Coaching qualifications visit www.surflifesaving.org.nz/coaching