become a surf lifeguard
Training takes approximately twenty five hours, and covers modules in surf skills, first aid, rescue techniques, and risk management. Some of the skills are taught theoretically, but most are taught in a practical environment.
Once your training is completed, you will be examined. The exam will assess your key lifeguarding skills, and involves;
- 400m pool swim in under 9 minutes
- 200m run/swim/run in the surf
- Tube rescue in the surf and pool environment
- CPR & First aid test
- Radio set up and signals test
- Theory test
- Once you've passed all the exam components, you'll be issued with your Surf Lifeguard Award and be assigned to a patrol.
We are committed to ongoing learning within Surf Life Saving too, from lifesaving, first aid, coaching and instruction, to leadership, teamwork and communication, our training will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life.
You are eligible as a surf lifeguard to compete in Surf Sports events and enjoy access to regular coaching programmes. Regions have representative teams and development squads are actively seeking new talent.